Wednesday 27 March 2013

Frank Henry Brody (1892 - 1958)

Now if you ever wanted to meet a complicated person, my great - grandfather would apparently have been your man. There are a number of stories floating around about where he was from and what he may have experienced as a young child. However, I haven't been able to substantiate any of these stories. I do know that he was born on August 2, 1892, but not 100% sure as to where. I have records that point to Chicago, Illinois where there is a record of birth for a Frank Henry Brody to a Herman Brody and Sarah or Ann Morris. However, according to a letter I have from one of Frank's daughters he may have also been born in Missouri. I have been looking in both states as well as Iowa as they are all quite close to one another. So far, Illinois seems the most promising.

Another thing I have heard is that he ran away from home at a young age as his father had remarried and his step-mother didn't like him. The thing is, I have found a record for an F.H. Brody crossing in to Saskatchewan from North Dakota on May 12, 1912 with a whopping amount of $10 in his pocket. However, I can't decipher where he was going. I will add the record I have in my next post. If someone else can read what his destination may have been please let me know. Further, I looked at the 1910 census for North Dakota and have located a Frank Brody age 18 living at home with his family. The head of the family is a Herman Brody with an Esther Brody as his wife. It shows both Herman and Esther as being Russian immigrants as well. I am not sure if this is a red herring, but it is defiantely interesting. According to the census, it says they have been married for 28 years, however this may not have been truthful information or it could be a mis-translation if their first language was not english.

What I do know for sure is that Frank married Lois Ethel Bodine near Maple Creek, Saskatchewan on January 5, 1917 and that they made their way through southern Saskatchewan before settling in Kinistino sometime around the 1930s. He passed away there on December 18, 1958.

Since I have such a wide range of information on Frank, mostly hearsay, I will be doing more research on his family. I would like to know where he was born and where he came from. If anyone has any information, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment